Thursday, February 26, 2009

Magnificent Mint Brownies


I have always been on the hunt for a fabulous mint brownie recipe. Growing up I looked forward to attending any BYU event that might have BYU Mint Brownies as the dessert. They were the best! 

Well, my search for the best mint brownies ended when we attended a baptism a number of years ago. After the baptism there were mint brownies as part of the refreshments and after taking one bite I was sold. I had to have the recipe! Apparently this recipe comes from an elderly lady who was a neighbor of our friends, the Andersons. The elderly neighbor always included these brownies as part of her Christmas goodie plate that she gave to neighbors. Jane was kind enough to share the recipe with me and it has been a favorite ever since. In fact, I have taken them to events and introduced them as, "Brownies that are as good as BYU Mint Brownies" and have been told that they are better than BYU Mint Brownies. In my book, that is the ultimate compliment! 

Magnificent Mint Brownies
4 cups sugar
4 cups flour
8 eggs
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups butter
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp salt


Cream butter and sugar together.   Add eggs one at a time.   Add flour, cocoa powder and salt.  Mix to combine. Add chocolate chips. 

Spray baking sheet pan with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes.  

Cool brownies. When completely cool, frost with mint frosting. Place pan in freezer until frosting has set . Remove from freezer and spread glaze on top. Freeze again until glaze is solid.

Mint Frosting

3/4 cup butter
6 T evaporated milk
6 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp peppermint or mint extract
Food coloring (green or pink) optional

Mix all together until smooth and creamy.

Chocolate Glaze

3/4 cup butter
4 tsp vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine butter and chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Melt on low heat in microwave stirring frequently until smooth. Add vanilla and stir to combine. 

p.s. You can cut the recipe in half and bake it in a 9x13 pan. 

3 comments:

April said...

These really are so delicious. I wish Glenn liked mint like I do. Oh well!!! Last time I made these I just used the frosting recipes and used Giradehli brownie mix from costco for the bottom (I was in a hurry and making two desserts for the day). It was still super delicious. Who can go wrong with Giradehli, right?


Sarah just forwarded me another molten lava cake recipe but using butterscotch chips instead of chocolate. My interested is peaked, we will see if she makes them first or me. (I hope she does....I have a growing list of goodies I want to make)

wildthayn said...

Whit, these look delicious!! We're all suckers for mint and brownies at our house!!

April, I think you're going to have to make the molten cakes first as I have no one to make them for right now.

Unknown said...

Yum! Do I need to half everything...will the mint frosting and glaze be enough for a 9X13 if I do?

Thanks!
Shannon