Monday, August 10, 2009

Couscous Salad

When we left California, we very sadly left behind The Athenian Grill, a waterfront Greek restaurant with some of the tastiest foods I've ever had. Sometimes I long for their hummus with grilled pita or Lamb stew with a big hunk of feta, but with no avail.

Then one day, I found this tasty salad in a South Beach Diet book and adapted it to suit my taste. I love the way all the fresh flavors combine in my mouth. It almost takes me back to the patio by the water in Suisun. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!


Couscous Salad

Ingredients:
1/2 c couscous (flavored, if not flavored, add some chicken boullion when cooking)
1 large cucumber
2 or 3 tomatoes, depending on size
2 cups spinach
1/2 c crumbled feta (or the pre-packaged combo of feta, provelone, and parmesan)
1/2 c balsamic vinaigrette


Directions:
Prepare couscous according to package directions. Set aside to cool. Chop cucumber, tomatoes, and spinach. Mix all ingredients and serve. This actually keeps pretty well in the fridge for a day or two. For variety, I sometimes make this salad with navy beans or chickpeas in addition to the existing ingredients.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

This is right up my alley! Thanks for posting it. In fact, I have most of the ingredients in excess from my garden right now so it would be a perfect dinner. Mmmm!

wildthayn said...

Ooooh, this is soooo good with fresh garden veggies. I buy them from the produce stand so they'll be fresher than the grocery store. Enjoy!!