Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TWD: My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies



Happy Be-lated Valentines Day! Hope it was filled with love and if you have kids lots of cheer and amusement.

Our Valentines Day consisted of valentine scavenger hunts, hours of crafting homemade valentines, cousin fun, making and eating sweet lovable treats (homemade heartshaped oreos, sugar cookies, and cherry fudge brownie torte).

On to the Tuesdays With Dorie for the week. I had was lucky enough to get her best chocolate chip cookies for my week. Oh how we love chocolate chip cookies around here. I will be honest though....we delight so much more in the dough than in the actual cookie. Once a chocolate cookie is baked it looses its magic....except maybe not our favoite Big Fat chocolate chip cookies. Each time I make cookies I will save at least 1/3 of the dough shaped in a log so we can pull it out of the refidgerator at will and cut a good chunk off. Yum!



So unfortunately Dorie's favorite was not my favorite. It was still a good cookie, but not amazing. I felt like they were drier than I wanted even when I underbaked them. I am sure it has more to do with the baker than the recipe. I have made these before and accidently turned them into a steller cookie. My kids still loved them and my toddler begged and begged me for a bit while I baked them and finally sweet peace he got one and I think probably three, because Nana was in town. Naughty Nana!



If you want to try these cookies out head on over to Kait's Plate for the recipe.

KT (sister-in-law) also brought up a delicious cookie as well. These patties were super rich so one was enough, but they were very delectable. I took pictures of hers at night so it is not that great of a shot sorry!



Creamy Peppermint Patties

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp peppermint extract
9 cups confectioners' sugar
¾ cup milk chocolate chips
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tblsp shortening

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and extract until smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating well. Shape into 1-in balls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten into patties. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.

In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Dip patties in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper until firm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 4 dozen.


Here is a viewing of our sugar cookie decorating with the kids.

Miriam

1 comment:

Cristine said...

I agree... the cookies were good, but not great. Yours look yummy, though! I use that big fat cookie recipe, too. LOVE THEM!