Tuesday, December 14, 2010

TWD: Apple-Coconut Family Cake

This was a fun Dorie make. It was easy enough to put together. I love apples and coconut, I do not usually put them together so it was fun try this duo out. The presentation of the cake is lovely. The texture ended up similar to a cake my mother-in-law makes called Belgium cake which is made with cooked oatmeal. I added pecans which made the cake for me. The nuttiness (is that a word?) matched the apple and coconut perfectly. I am not a fan of jam in/on desserts so I did not use apple jam for the topping. After tasting it I decided it definitely needed a topping. So we pulled out the caramel syrup and that worked wonderfully. Next time I will make a homemade caramel sauce. Overall this cake was quite tasty, the kind of cake where when you walk by you take a bite. My kids or husband were not huge fans, but I snacked on it through the afternoon.

If are interested in making this you can visit Amber of Cobbler du Monde for the recipe.


Jessica said...

SO pretty! How did you do that?? I cored my apple and cut it like you did, but yours looks like it's sparkling! PS: we use the same blogger design. love it!

Tia said...

apple pecans - nyum nyum!