Saturday, May 2, 2009

Stove-Top Broccoli Mac-and-Cheese


Good Eats is one of my favorite shows on The Food Network. I enjoy learning about kitchen science and Alton Brown makes it fun and informative. A few months ago I saw an episode on Macaroni and Cheese. Most of the show was dedicated to Baked Macaroni and Cheese but at the end he quickly showed a recipe for Stove Top Mac-and-Cheese. I was intrigued and decided it was a must try. It doesn't take much longer than box macaroni and cheese and the taste is amazing. As long as I keep evaporated milk in my pantry this will be my go-to recipe when the kids request macaroni and cheese. I made it this week and decided to add some broccoli to it to see how the kids would react. Much to my surprise they all loved it! Kids and adults will love this recipe. It is now a permanent addition to the Hasler Family Favorite Recipes. Enjoy!

Stove Top Broccoli Mac-and-Cheese
adapted from an Alton Brown recipe

  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • Two broccoli heads cut into small florets
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 10 ounces shredded cheese (I've just used what I had on hand.)

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the broccoli and pasta until the pasta is al dente. Drain and return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

3 comments:

wildthayn said...

This looks absolutely delish!!! Its just the kind of stuff I crave when my hubby's gone!!

TeaLady said...

Alton is my absolutely favorite cooking show. Love his style. I have never made baked mac and cheese. Yours looks wonderful.

Lulu the Baker said...

I love Good Eats too! I maybe have a teeny tiny crush on Alton Brown, despite his geekiness. I'll have to try this mac n cheese recipe. My 3-year-old wants it all the time and I hate the stuff from a box!