Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TWD- Fresh Mango Bread


Lucky me! This wasn't my normal week for TWD but Liz thought it would be a bit too much to make this while trying to pack for a move cross country so she asked me to fill in for her. This was actually a recipe that I thought I would make even if I wasn't the one to post on it because it looked too good to pass up! 

I didn't make any changes to the recipe at all. In terms of mangoes, I have no idea how one mango would yield 2 cups of diced mango. It took me two mangoes and I was good to get as much as possible out of each one. The batter was definitely more like a dough and took a bit of mixing by hand to get all of the dry ingredients to fold in. 

Once in the oven, sweet tropical smells filled my house! I knew I was in for a real treat. I baked mine for the length of time recommended in the recipe but it seemed that the ends of the loaf were over done while the center was just perfect. I covered the loaf with foil for the last 20 or so minutes of baking so I'm not sure how to avoid that when I make it again. 

The finished product was wonderful! My only complaints were one, I wished I could taste more of the lime zest once the bread was baked. In the batter I could taste the hint of lime but once it was finished it seemed non-existent. Second slight issue was that the bread just kind of fell apart and was difficult to cut. It is so packed with mango that it was difficult to slice. That said, the taste more than made up for the fall-apart slices.

I actually baked two loaves and served one at a church activity one night and then at a lunch I catered the following day. It was received with rave reviews! I even had some women say that they really don't like mango at all but they loved the bread. I think that is because the mango flavor is more subtle once it is baked. 

This bread was wonderful and I will definitely make it again. Thanks to Kelly at Baking with the Boys for the great pick this week. If you want the full recipe head on over to her site.

Happy Baking!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - the lime flavor was non-existent. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Teanna DiMicco said...

You know, I totally forgot there was even lime in there! hahaha!!! The bread looks GREAT!!! I LOVED this one, too!

wildthayn said...

Looks tasty!! The tropical smells in your house sound heavenly!!!

chocolatechic said...

I put a glaze on mine too.

I didn't have a lime, so I left it out.

I bet coconut would be good in this.

Cristine said...

Looks great with that glaze!

April said...

Sounds intriguing!!! I may have to try this one.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for doing this, Whit! It looks like it turned out great!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

sounds like a hit (i didn't notice much lime flavor either, tho)! and is that a little glaze i see?? yum!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the mango really stands out in your bread! Mine got kind of lost, I think I diced them too small. I would have liked more of the lime flavor too!

Anonymous said...

Your bread looks really pretty! I had some trouble slicing this one too.

TeaLady said...

Yes, it was good. And yours looks fantastic.

BreMarie said...

Geeks and Cubicles loves you so much... we have given you an award!!! Come and get it!!!
http://geeksincubicles.blogspot.com