Tuesday, June 2, 2009

TWD: Cinnamon Chocolate Squares

Yum! This was a seriously easy recipe to make. I didn't even have to go to the store for any special ingredients. For whole milk I used some canned evaporated milk and from experience with Dorrie's recipes I have stocked up on "store bought mini chocolate chips". This is a pretty little cinnamon cake with a thin layer of chocolate, sugar and cinnamon in the center. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we don't drink coffee so I switched the espresso powder to cocoa. I figure a little extra chocolate couldn't hurt a recipe like this!



It was fun to make and I loved the little crunch of the cinnamon/sugar/cocoa layer. I never thought chocolate and cinnamon would really go together. I thought the chocolate would over power the cinnamon...I was wrong. It has a very strong flavor and is delicious! If you'd like to try making this recipe or see other delightful dishes check out Tracey's website.

5 comments:

Cristine said...

Your squares look great! Good sub with the cocoa... I bet that was delicious!

wildthayn said...

These look delicious!!! Great job and nice substitution!!

April said...

Glenn thought I was crazy when I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to our Texas Sheet Cake this weekend. He said sinnamon and chocolate do not belong together. I disagree!! So I was interested to see how these turned out for you. They look yummy!

Unknown said...

Thanks for baking with me this week! Your squares look terrific! What a great idea to sub the cocoa for the espresso :)

Whitney said...

Yummers! This seems to be a must-try from all the reviews I have read.