Friday, November 12, 2010

Mike's new birthday cake!

Ever since Mike was a child, he has requested German Chocolate cake for his birthday; however, the last few years he requested this chocolate beauty! I have to admit, it's wonderful and amazing, and the confession....it includes a cake mix (gasp)!!!
I beg you not to be a cake mix snob and just make this cake, if only once! It's decadent, rich, and delicious. Mike likes it best the next day when it's been chilled, I prefer it warm with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 dark chocolate cake mix

1 small box instant chocolate pudding

¾ c. oil

¾ c. water

4 eggs

1 c. sour cream

4 oz. cream cheese

1 12oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients until smooth. Pour into greased and floured Bundt pan. Bake at 350 for one hour. After cooling, drizzle with chocolate ganache and caramel.

Chocolate ganache glaze:

½ c .heavy cream

½ Tbs. butter

1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Over medium-low heat, bring cream and butter to boil. Pour over chocolate chips and mix until smooth.

2 comments:

April said...

I tasted the left overs last year from his birthday. It is delicious and super super rich.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I've been making a version of this cake for almost 25 years (one difference is that mine doesn't have the cream cheese), and have yet to locate a homemade one that I like as much. My mother got the recipe from me, and she always baked it in two loaf pans, keeping one in the freezer for "cake emergencies"!!

I came over here because I'm writing my galette post and wanted the link for your blog. Will come back tomorrow to see your post! (We LOVED it by the way)