Thursday, March 26, 2009

Crunchy Munchy Bumpy Cookies


Funny name...I know. This recipe is one of my childhood favorites. I have fond memories of eating them on long road trips and making them on Sunday afternoons. They are a funny combination of ingredients. People often times ask what's in them because they can't quite figure it out. I think the "surprise" ingredient is rice krispies cereal. They give the cookies a soft crunch and make them irresistible. Because they have carrots in them my 10-year-old told my younger kids that they were healthy. Ha! Healthy they are not, but tasty they are. 

It has been a while since I last made them so yesterday, the girlies and I made them together. They had a great time as did I. When we frosted them I told the girls that one of my favorite parts of making Crunchy Munchy Bumpy Cookies was eating the icing that had dripped off of the cookies and onto the wax paper underneath. They loved that idea and immediately started tasting. 

Crunchy Munchy Bumpy Cookies
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup OJ
1 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 c grated carrots
1 12-oz package chocolate chips
2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups rice
krispies
1/2 cup raisins


Directions:
Cream butter and sugar together.   Add egg, juice and vanilla.   Sift dry ingredients and add to butter/sugar mixture.   Add carrots, chocolate chips, oats, rice krispies and raisins.   Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.   Cool some and then frost with thick glaze made from powdered sugar and orange juice.

Happy Baking and Eating!

3 comments:

April said...

These are nice and moist.
I love the orange glaze on them. I don't know if my kiddos would eat them with the carrots. Picky girls.

Kerry said...

I am making these right now! I can't wait to eat them!And you know...there actually is a lot of nutritional value in these. Fiber from the oats and raisins, vitamin c and folate from the OJ,Vitamin A and beta-carotene from the carrots.See? I won't feel too guilty eating them! Hee hee!

Elizabeth said...

I've wanted to make these cookies for a while, and I think I just might do it today! Great post!